The Sun, Ebury street - thanks Vincent
This London history site will only get better, and bigger. It currently uses pubs and their history, most are now closed, as landmarks. p>
Johnstones 1818 directory index
This is the 1818 Johnstones London commercial guide which also includes a little pub history detail.
Birchin lane, Cornhill
Length 77 yards, No. of Houses 27
l Brooks, Francis, News vender
* Gapper & Haslewood, Ame, stockbrokers
* Cox, William, John, Stock broker
* Eliason, Daniel, Merchant
* Eliason and Nephew, Jewellers, etc.
* Palmer, S. Auctioneer and accountant
3 Bloxham, Sir Matthew, Bill broker
* Maslem, Henry, Insurance broker
* Woodall, T. Watch maker and jeweller
4 Noy, Edward, Henry, Notary
6 Pinkerton, Thomas; Merchant
* Pryer, William, Saddler and harness maker
* Taylor, William, Gun merchant
* Thomas, James, Merchant
8 Tinkler & Mountford, Gunpowder makers
9 Witherby, W.G. W.& H. Stationers
10 Annesley, Anthony, Luke, Broker
* Robinson, John, Insurance broker
* Ryde and Co. Bill brokers
* Stewardson, John, Stock broker
* Taylor, William, Stock broker
14 Causton, Henry, Kent, Printer
* Eives, William, Ironmonger
* Short, Jacob, East India merchant
15 Smith, Thomas, and Co. Matt. warehouse
21 Hacket, C. A. Agent for E.I. ships & Insurance broker
* Hacket, C. A. Prussian blue manufacturer
* Jacob, John, Merchant
* Norwich, Union fire and life office
22 Adamthwaite, Archibald, Notary
* Baker, Norrison, Solicitor and Notary
* Richardson, Robert, Insurance broker
* Robinson and Lomas, Brokers
23 Heather, Lucas, and Co. Ship brokers
* Herbert, James, Merchant
* Miller, Dan. Ship and Insurance broker
* Orvens, James, Dealer in turtle.
* Pawsey and Eason, Stock brokers
* Rogers, Sam. Notary public
24 Burton, Children, & Co. Gunpowder merchant
* Pinsent, Jeseph, Agent and broker
26 Hippuff and Davis, Stock brokers.
* Macauley aud Babington, Merchants
27 Guitard, Arend, Jacob, Notary Public
Browne, Zachariah, Sam. Merchant
CAROLINA coffee house.
Begbie, John, Merchant
Hudson, James, and Co. Merchants
Newton, Benj. and James, Notaries
Peck and Co. Merchants
Ross, George, Merchant
Wilkinson, John, Wine merchant
Wright, Robert, Merchant
What I am now attempting to achieve is the coverage of an earlier London
street directory in 1832. This is unique, plus
images of the 1842 Robsons directory which confirm earlier entries and also
carry much more trade detail about a premises or person. Here is the index of streets in 1832, many with
1842 imagery added.
And next is the complete 1840 London street directory - this will take some months to complete, so bear with me!
London pub history directory.
London Street Listings in 1832.
London street listings in 1842
London Street Listings in 1818 - mainly A and B.
London public houses in 1833 Pigots.
Entire London Street Listing in 1843 - by surname.
London public houses in 1856.
London public houses in 1869.
London 1921 Street directory in 1921
London 1940 Street directory 1940
London Pubs in 2018